Prince of Wales Athletics12th October 2018
On Friday 22nd June, Leckhampton Primary School achieved something it hasn’t for a very long time…
Under baking skies at the Prince of Wales stadium, our very best athletes took to the track to compete in the Cheltenham schools athletics championships, and as it transpired, they did far more than just compete. There were startling performances from children in every year group, and we left with an overwhelming feeling of pride and joy. Notable performances were…
- Charlie Beardsmore – 4th in the year 6 boys long distance race!
- Daphne Garbutt – 8th in the year 6 girls long distance race!
- Flora Johnson – 6th in the year 5 girls long distance race!
- Libby Lavender – 5th in the year 6 girls sprint final!
- Sam Beardsmore – 4th in the year 3 boys sprint final!
- Emily Furley – 6th in the year 4 girls sprint final!
- Thomas Smith – 5th in the year 6 boys standing long jump!
Flora Hopcraft – 2nd in the girls year 6 long jump!
Isobel Burfitt – 1st in the girls year 6 long jump!
Kitty Ellis – 2nd in the girls year 6 sprint final!
Year 4 girls team – 3rd in the relay!
Year 4 boys team – 2nd in the relay!
Year 5 girls team – 1st in the relay!
Year 6 girls team – 1st in the relay!
These incredible achievements meant that when scores were collated, Leckhampton came a quite brilliant 3rd place overall. The biggest cheer of all, however, occurred once the girls scores and medals were announced, as to rapturous applause, our girls squad were named the Cheltenham schools athletics girls competition champions 2018 and took the coveted shield back to Leckhampton! This was an achievement that we, as a school, have not managed since 1991. Our girls, due to their incredible talent and immense hard work in preparation for the event, will forever be part of Leckhampton sporting history. Well done to all of you.